Friday, May 21, 2010

Halo halo

After nearly 24 hours from airport to airport, we arrived in Manila at 4 in the morning. We were promptly greeted by a wall of humid heat (apparantly it's been record-breaking hot lately), followed by a crazy drive to our home for the next while. I honestly believe driving here can shave a few years off your life.


I definitely scored in the country/partner/home/host departments. I love that I'm coming back to my roots, and after a 15-year wait, that I am finally reunited the best mango in the world. My partner, Danielle, is a kindred spirit with an outrageous sense of humor. Our home is beautiful, our room has tie dye sarongs for curtains, and we have two puppies.

Our hosts are lovely, generous, and hilarious. They treated us to halo halo, which is basically ais cacang: pinoy styles

The jet lag and lethargy from 14 hours of lying around on the plane, coupled with the intense heat and the resulting slowing of brain function, made me thankful that resting was the main activity today. Hopefully tonight will bear a deep and uninterrupted sleep and we'll be well rested for tomorrow's festivities (whatever those may be).

No comments:

Post a Comment