Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The important questions in life

First of all, I just wanted to say that the other intern at Samaritana that I mentioned in my previous post does, in fact, have a name. She is Ziwei (Zeeway), or Zaywee (as the women call her), or Zedway (as Danielle and I affectionately call her). She's back to the states for law school (look out, world!), so I would like to just pause and post this photo in rememberance of you, Zed.Now that we've set things straight, on to the important questions in life.

For starters, why don't all KFCs serve rice and/or chicken on a stick?
And it was FLG, colonel, it sure was...

Secondly, How did we ever miss out on these ingenious flavors?
Enough of the product placement and deep questions (blogs are for shallow chatter, not great philisophical ponderings and musings, after all). Now for something completely different:

I washed my clothes after one week in dusty Manila, which is a whole ordeal in and of itself. It's a semi-automatic, and the whole filling it up with water and draining it is not the automatic portion. Here's a photo of the byproduct... On a more serious note though, this photo reminds me of the darkness that I saw on Friday night when we hit up the local bar scene. It was both physically and metaphorically dirty and dark. It was a rainy day, turning the dirt roads on which the bars reside, into a muddy mess. The bars themselves are marketplaces during the day, not exactly in the nicest area of town.

We made friendly conversation with pimps, prostituted women, and their children. Yes, their children, who should have been safely home, tucked in bed, dreaming about rainbows and unicorns and fairies, instead of staying up late and seeing things they shouldn't be.

I can see how easy it would be to feel overwhelmed by all that's wrong in the world, but I think that it should give us all the more reason to fight for what's good, right, and just. Dear friends, please don't ever let me become cold, apathetic, bitter, or jaded. Kthxbai.

2 comments:

  1. Just letting you know that I feel like many people read your blogs and wait for you to update them.

    JUST SAYIN'.

    Haha, hope you're having a good time. Good to know you're still exercising your love for food (and, karaoke?). God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Romster, I posted an extra long one to make up for it :P

    Hope everything's going well with RTR. God bless you too sister! :)

    ReplyDelete